Genealogische Datenbank
 Bohrer

Klingler, Hermann Julius

männlich 1830 - 1910  (~ 79 Jahre)


Angaben zur Person    |    Notizen    |    Quellen    |    Ereignis-Karte    |    Alles    |    PDF

  • Name Klingler, Hermann Julius 
    Geboren Jan 1830  [1, 2
    Geschlecht männlich 
    Wohnort 1844  USA Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort  [2
    Immigration  
    Wohnort 1900  Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort  [2, 3
    Gestorben 1910  [1
    Begraben Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort  [1
    • South Cemetery
    Personen-Kennung I8711  global
    Zuletzt bearbeitet am 12 Aug 2019 

    Familie Reiber, Anna Barbara,   6 Aug 1824, Gönningen [72770],Reutlingen,Baden-Württemberg,Deutschland Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort 
    Verheiratet 24 Okt 1848  [3, 4
    Kinder 
     1. Klingler, Harry Samuel,   3 Jul 1856, Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort
     2. Klingler, Frederick Julius,   22 Jan 1859, Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort
     3. Klingler, Charles Washington,   12 Apr 1861, Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort
    +4. Klingler, Rev. Paul Gerhardt,   19 Aug 1867, Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Suche alle Personen mit Ereignissen an diesem Ort
    Zuletzt bearbeitet am 12 Aug 2019 
    Familien-Kennung F19200  Familienblatt  |  Familientafel

  • Ereignis-Karte
    Link zu Google MapsWohnort - Immigration - 1844 - USA Link zu Google Earth
    Link zu Google MapsWohnort - 1900 - Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Link zu Google Earth
    Link zu Google MapsBegraben - - Butler,Butler County,Pennsylvania,USA Link zu Google Earth
     = Link zu Google Earth 
    Pin-Bedeutungen  : Adresse       : Ortsteil       : Ort       : Region       : (Bundes-)Staat/-Land       : Land       : Nicht festgelegt

  • Notizen 
    • HERMANN JULIUS KLINGLER is the only surviving male member of the old family, and with his sister, Matilda, wife of George MUNSCH, constitute the remnants of the first KLINGLER emigrants to this country. Hermann Julius was fourteen years old when the family arrived in America. He obtained his education at a "Re-al Schule," in Nürtingen, near his native place. After taking to himself a wife, he left the farm in Manor township, Armstrong county, at the age of eighteen, and accepted a situation as clerk in a store at Kittanning. Remaining there about one year, he, in 1849, settled in Butler, and purchased the old United States Hotel property, corner of Main and Jefferson streets, the present site of the Lowry House, which he conducted for three years. In 1852 he built the present Lowry House, and for eight consecutive years continued to be its landlord. During this time he was also engaged in other enterprises. Forming a copartnership with James CAMPBELL, under the style of Campbell & Klingler, the firm carried on a dry goods store for five years on the northwest corner of Main and Mifflin streets. Later he was associated with Martin REIBER, as Reiber & Klingler, in the foundry business. In 1860 he sold the hotel and built his present residence on the southwest corner of Jefferson and McKean [p. 740] streets. Two years later he severed his other business connections, and with John BERG, Sr., for several years operated in the oil fields above Oil City. It was in 1863 when Mr. KLINGLER and John BERG, Jr., took a cargo of crude oil to Liverpool, England. He was among the first to introduce petroleum in the old world, visiting, at the same time, his native land and other points of interest in Germany. The oil was put in barrels at Oil City, transported down the Allegheny river to Pittsburg, and from there shipped by rail to the seaboard at Philadelphia. Upon his return, in 1865, he led in the organization of the Butler County Oil Company, and during its existence of two years, served as its superintendent. In this capacity he leased 12,000 acres of lands in Butler, Armstrong and Beaver counties, the greater part of which were located between Martinsburg, along Bear creek on the north, and Coylesville on the south. He drilled four test wells, one at Buhl's Mill, Connoquenessing township; one near Martinsburg, on Bear creek, in Parker township; one at Croll's mill on Slippery Rock, in Brady township, and one on Buffalo creek, in Armstrong county. As none of these wells were drilled to the second sand no oil was obtained, and the richest oil territory known in this section, extending from Parker to below Millerstown, although leased for ninety-nine years, was abandoned and left for later enterprise to develop and produce therefrom millions of barrels of oil.

      Following in the footsteps of his forefathers, Mr. KLINGLER at last embarked in the milling business, and in 1867 erected the grist mill located on Mifflin street, known as Klingler's Mills. The present main office, 139 East Jefferson street, he built during the Centennial year. After operating the mill for ten years, he remodeled the same with the new process, a method which reground the purified middlings on a small millstone. Several years later he introduced rolls into his mill, being among the first in the state to use them. In 1883-84 he reconstructed the mill to the entire roller system, naming it the Oriental Roller Mills, acknowledged as one of the most advanced roller plants in the United States. In 1885 he erected a shipping house, fifty by one hundred and ten feet, opposite the West Penn railroad station. On March 1, 1886, he associated with him his two sons, Harry S. and Fred J., under the style of H.J. Klingler & Company, to carry on the business more extensively. In 1889 the firm built the Specialty Roller Mills and West Penn Elevator, on the site of the shipping house, utilizing part of the latter. The Oriental Roller Mills was enlarged and again remodeled, externally and internally, in 1891. A fortune equal to four times the original cost of the mill has been expended in experiments and improvements on this plant in the last fourteen years. Mr. KLINGLER has been engaged in milling twenty-seven successive years, and one hundred years of milling history has been completed by the Klingler family.

      Mr. KLINGLER was also prominently identified with many of the leading enterprises of this community. He was one of the originators and directors of the First National Bank, of Butler, and four years afterward withdrew to become one of the prime movers in the organization of the Butler Savings Bank, of which institution he was a director for a number of years. Dissolving his connection here, he took part in the organization of the German National Bank, of Millerstown, and served as a director as long as he was a stockholder in that [p. 741] institution. He was president of the Home Natural Gas Company from its organization until the company sold out to its present owners. For years he served the town as a school director and councilman, and was chairman of both bodies. In 1887 he was elected the first president of the Butler Improvement Association. It was at this time and in this capacity that he secured the location at Butler of the Standard Plat Glass Factory, in which project he figured as one of the principals. For the first two years he was president of the company, and during part of this time was general manager of the works. Upon his retirement as head of the concern, he simultaneously severed his connection with the company. He left the impress of his discretion upon the town by platting, in 1890, twelve acres of land into thirty-nine lots, between Mifflin and Penn streets, and donated to the city the land occupied by the streets and alleys, at the same time creating the new thoroughfare now known as Broad street. The entire length of Broad street, on each side, he planted with shade trees, and by deed required each lot purchaser to build twenty feet from the street line. Quite a number of private residences were erected by him in different parts of Butler.

      In his religious belief, Mr. KLINGLER is a Lutheran, of which church he has been a life-long member. His name is conspicuous in the history of the denomination in this section, as an energetic worker in various capacities. In the general body he has held numerous positions of trust. For many years he was a director of Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, the largest educational institution of the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and adjacent States, and for over ten years he was also treasurer of that body. He was a delegate from the Pittsburg Synod to the General Council Lutheran Assembly, which convened at Fort Wayne in the autumn of 1893. Politically, Mr. KLINGLER affiliated with the Democratic party until a recent date, but is now a strong Prohibitionist. While he always took an active interest in public matters, and though he was often urged to accept public office, the cares of a business life compelled him to deny the importunities of his fellow citizens. Mr. KLINGLER married, October 24, 1848, Anna Barbara, daughter of Martin REIBER, Sr., one of the settlers of 1839, of Summit township, Butler county, and by this marriage they are the parents of eight children, four sons surviving: Harry Samuel; Frederick Julius; Charles Washington, and Paul Gerhardt. [3]
    • HERMANN JULIUS KLINGLER, deceased, was a captain of industry in Butler, Pennsylvania. He was the founder of the great industry of which he was the head, and founder of the house of H. J. Klingler & Company. He was born in Wurttemburg, Germany, and came to this country, settling in Manor Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, where he went on a farm. He belonged to a family of millers, and his natural bent was soon to assert itself. At the age of eighteen he married and moved to Kittanning, where he was employed as clerk in a store. Coming to Butler in 1849 he bought the United States Hotel at Main and Jefferson streets. In 1852 he demolished the old structure and erected in its place the Lowry House, which he conducted for eight years. With James Campbell as a partner he engaged in the dry goods business, thereafter opening a store at the southwest corner of Main and Mifflin streets. The firm was Campbell & Klingler. His next venture was in the foundry business, which he entered in partnership with Martin Reiber, under the style of Reiber & Klingler. He sold his hotel in 1860, and built himself the large and elegant dwelling house he occupied at Jefferson and McKean streets. In 1862 he gave up all his other interests to engage in the oil industry. With John Berg, Sr., he operated above Oil City. They made the first shipments to Europe, the consignment being to Liverpool, England, in 1863. In 1865, Mr. Klingler, in association with John Berg, Jr., organized the Butler County Oil Company. Mr. Klingler was its superintendent for the two years of its existence. He was the leader in acquiring 12,000 acres in Butler, Armstrong and Beaver counties, extending from Parker to Millertown. For test wells were drilled and no oil was found. In a later period, the drill was sent down through the second stratum of sand, and oil was found in abundance ; so that the field became one of the richest in the whole United States. In 1867, Mr. Klingler turned to milling, and built a grist mill, which took the name of Klingler's Mills. In 1876 he erected the main office at No. 139 East Jefferson Street. In 1877 he remodelled the mill and introduced an improved grinding process, which utilized a small millstone and resulted in economical consumption of the grain. Rolls were invented, and he was among the first to try them out. He began carefully and the results were so satisfactory that in 1883-1884 he installed the roller system throughout and the company took the name of the Oriental Roller Mills. In 1885 he built a shipping house, 50x100 feet, opposite the West Penn Railroad station. In 1886 he took in as partners his two sons, Harry S. and Fred J. Klingler, and arranged for a large expansion of the business. In 1889 he erected the Specialty Roller Mills and the West Penn Elevator on the side of the shipping house. In 1891 the Oriental Rolling Mills were remodelled outside and inside, and the growing business compelled their remodelling and overhauling again in 1907 and 1908. Mr. Klingler was an organizer and one of the first board of directors of the First National Bank of Butler. He resigned after a few years to devote his attention to the Butler Savings Bank. He assisted in organizing the German National Bank of Millertown, of which he was a director. He was a director and president of the National Gas Company; of the Butler Improvement Association at the time of its organization ; and before there was a Chamber of Commerce he took the initiative in bringing new enterprises to Butler, among them the Standard Plate Glass Factory, of which he was the president and general manager. In 1890 he bought 12 acres and plotted 39 lots between Mifflin and Penn streets. In this tract he erected many houses. Mr. Klingler was a Lutheran in his religious faith. He was treasurer of Capital University in Columbus, Ohio, the institution conducted by the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and adjacent states. He was a delegate in 1893 from the Pittsburgh Synod to the General Council of the Lutheran Assembly at Fort Wayne, Indiana. In politics he was a Democrat.
      Mr. Klingler was married, October 24, 1848, to Anna Barbara Reiber, daughter of Martin Reiber, Sr. They were the parents of eight children, of whom two survived their parents : Harry Samuel, of whom further mention is made ; Frederick Julius, and Paul Gerhardt. Charles Washington died, leaving a wife and six children, four of whom died in their youth.
      Harry Samuel Klingler, now deceased, was the eldest son. He was educated in the public schools of Butler and at Capital University, Columbus. In 1875, just out of college, he entered the mill of his father to learn the milling business in all its details. His aptitude was great, and in 1878 he became general manager, and afterwards a member of the firm. He gained a wide reputation as an expert practical miller. He disclosed literary abilities and wrote valuable articles. Some of them he read before the Pennsylvania Millers' State Association, while others were published in leading trade papers. In July, 1883, he won the prize offered by the "American Miller" for the best essay on "The Handling of Middlings, and the Use of Purifiers." He contributed other articles to the "American Miller" during 1884-1885, and for four years he supported informally with his pen the "Milling Engineer," besides writing other trade papers. His column, "Random Reflections", in other journals of the trade attracted wide attention, and proved him a writer and paragrapher of superior talents. In December, 1886, he was a prime mover in the organization of the Pennsylvania Millers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, after which he was a director for many years. He took an interest in all the social and civic affairs of Butler, but never to the neglect of his life-work, milling. Brought up in the faith of the Lutheran Church, he continued one of its steadfast adherents, and was a useful worker in the Butler congregation. For ten years he served acceptably as superintendent of the Sunday School ; and at the fifty-first convention of the Pittsburgh Synod of the General Council held at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, September 13-20, 1893, he was elected a trustee of Thiele [sic] College, Greenville. His death occurred November 14, 1912.
      Harry S. Klingler was married February 8, 1878, to Louisa Catherine Keck, daughter of Jacob Keck, of Butler. Seven children were born to them: Charlotte Frederica; William Julius, of whom further; Alberta Barbara ; Clara Louisa ; Harry Samuel, Jr.; Florence Elizabeth ; and Ethel Pauline.
      William Julius Klingler was educated in the public and high schools of Butler and was graduated from Capital University, Columbus, Ohio. On leaving college he entered the plant of his father and uncle, the H. J. Klingler & Company. After learning the business thoroughly he took over the entire management for the heirs in 1920. In this he was associated with Paul E. Eisler. They have continued to administer the property ever since. In 1924, with H. 0. Carson, Mr. Klingler established the Klingler-Carson Company, manufacturers of cement blocks, and the leaders of this line in Butler County. Mr. Klingler is a Republican in politics, and a member of the Board of Commerce.
      William Julius Klingler married, April 25, 1907, Nettie Virginia Allen, and they are the parents of two children: Virginia Allen, and Charlotte Ann. The address of Mr. Klingler is Lookout Avenue, Butler.

      [4]

  • Quellen 
    1. [S503] Find a grave.
      Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed 11 August 2019), memorial page for Hermann Julius Klinger (1830–1910), Find A Grave Memorial no. 68541168, citing South Cemetery, Butler, Butler County, Pennsylvania, USA ; Maintained by Me (contributor 46912505) .

    2. [S90] FamilySearch, (Kirche Jesu Christi der Heiligen der Letzten Tage).
      "United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M397-Z92 : accessed 11 August 2019), H Julius Klingler, Butler borough Ward 2, Butler, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 56, sheet 2A, family 31, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,241,386.

    3. [S799] History of Butler County Pennsylvania, (1895), Biographical Sketches, Chapter 70 (Pgs. 725-775), S.741.
      http://sites.rootsweb.com/~pabutler/1895/95x70-2.htm

    4. [S800] History of Butler County, Pa,, (1927), pages 1018-1021 Klingler, Hermann Julius.
      http://oldbios.com/pennsylvania/131/klinger-hermann-julius